I've been reading some interesting bumper stickers lately I thought I'd share. The first bumper sticker I saw a few weeks ago went something like this:
"My kid fought in Iraq so your kid could go to college"
Anybody feel like we're back in the draft era? During the Viet Nam War there were clearly young adults of privilege who didn't have to serve (e.g. President Clinton and Vice President Cheney) and those who "served" by getting rare National Guard positions (e.g. President W and Vice President Dan Quayle). That said, the draft ended decades ago. We have an all volunteer armed force. The bumper sticker seems disingenuous at best. Now, if we want to have a debate about the socio-economic makeup of the armed forces that's another question. This bumper sticker however is trying to lay a guilt trip on one group of people because this person's kid volunteered for service. I'm a vet and I volunteered in the 80s. So those of you reading this who think I don't understand can bug off.
The next bumper sticker is nothing new, but fun none the less. This was on the back of a Ford Explorer:
"Made by, driven by, and paid for by an American."
According to the U.S. Stuff Product web site (http://www.usstuff.com/cars205c.htm). The 2005 Ford Explorer is only 75% U.S. and/or Canadian parts (which could be all Canadian). It has a German Engine and a French Transmission. Granted, it is assembled in St. Louis but the major components have nothing to do with being "made by an American." I found a couple of references suggesting the Kentucky-assembled Toyota Camry has 55% American parts. So, what is an American car anyway?
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment