I was sitting at a stop light this morning just west of beautiful, but over built, Plainfield, IL; four or five cars back from the light. Suddenly I see a black flash cross the intersection, slide off the road, take out a light post and crash into some small trees just off the shoulder. Not cool.
The light turned green so I pulled through the intersection and stopped to go see if I could help. The young man was walking around so I called 911, grabbed my first aid kit, and walked over. He said he was belted in and his air bag had deployed. No blood, nothing obviously borken. So far so good. Then he started getting pale.
I finally got him sitting and wrapped in an extra jacket, when the hood of his car, and the trees lying on it, burst into flames. Would have made a nice fire for S'mores :). He got really pale, but that's when the police, fire and paramedics all showed up. Probably 3 or 4 minutes after I called at the most.
So, a little adrenaline rush for me this morning. And a few observations:
1. Even if your just running out for a few minutes, this is still Northern Illinois. TAKE A COAT. The kid was dressed in a light jogging suit and tennis shoes. If he had been somewhere more remote or at night he'd have been in trouble.
2. Think about keeping emergency supplies in your vehicle just in case you have the opportunity to help somebody else. I didn't need my first aid kit was sure was glad I had it.
3. Where your safety belt! Even if your just running out for a few minutes!
4. The road conditions weren't bad this morning. Not sure if it was black ice or stupid cell phone tricks that caused the accident. But, pay attention!
Thursday, February 04, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment