Non Sequitur presents an interesting cartoon the sentiment of which says that a woman should jump at the chance to marry an unemployed man because of her opportunity to show her support for equal rights.
I've recently noticed what seems like an increased number of radio stories talking about women and their challenges going to Iraq, trying to be mother and soldier, etc. Granted, this has been mostly on NPR but also from other outlets. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it.
We have an all volunteer military. Every woman going to Iraq signed up of her own accord, be it National Guard duty or regular military. They should have thought about the ramifications on their civilian life before they signed the contracts.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm sure the challenges are immense and the pressure unbearable. I'm also sure the women featured in the stories I've heard are serving honorably. But, the challenges and sacrifices required of the military are no secret. One may join the military for the benefits, college programs or the opportunity to travel the world. In the end though the military has but one purpose; to travel where required and fight. That's the job.
Women have been fighting for equal rights for at least a century. This is what it looks like. Get over it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment